ahhh, memes. they feel like cheating to me -- the blogging equivalent of cake mix. however:
a) they're fun to write
b) they're fun to READ (when used sparingly)
c) it's a nice opportunity to spread a little online love around, and introduce readers to some of your favorite blogs.
so for my 1500th post (yeah, i know . . .)
i'm going to take the easy way out. let the meme-fest commence!
meme #1: chain of 4s
for this one, you can all thank the lovely allie of live, laugh, eat and alliebar fame (did you know i coined that moniker? i did!).
1. Four TV shows that I watch
✰ modern family
✰ mad men (although i always fall asleep before the episode ends)
✰ desperate housewives (yes, still.)
2. Four Things that I’m passionate about
♥ time management and planning ahead
♥ blogging! (you don't get to 1500 with wishy-washy intent)
♥ pediatric endocrinology
3. Four words/phrases I use a lot
■ "Dude, . . ." (yep, stuck in the 90s)
■ "Time to ___!"
■ "F^$&)$#!" (no, pediatrics training did not break me of this habit)
4. Four things I’ve learned in the past
✔ do what you love
✔ lifestyle matters!
✔ sleep is of paramount importance
✔ you can't always get what you want
5. Four places I would like to go
☑ new zealand/australia
☑ back to hawaii
6. Four things I did yesterday
★ wrote a guest post for another blog on one of my favorite topics (i felt like a freelancer!)
★ finished editing grant #4
★ wrote a test question on Graves' disease
★ baked cookies!
7. Four things I’m looking forward to
✰ getting situated in lab + feeling like i know what i am doing
✰ vickie's visit this weekend!!
✰ upcoming arizona trip
✰ yoga class today!
8. Four things I love about winter
[i sort of hate winter, but i'll play along . . .]
■ soups + stews
■ not having to run outside early to avoid the heat
■ um, vacationing somewhere warm?
■ no mosquitos (stole that one directly from allie -- she has a good point.)
9. Tag four people to play along
meme #2: stylish!
the lovely priyanka bestowed this lovely award on me last night.
clearly, priyanka could not see my scrubs and race t-shirt (what? i'm waiting for my pajama pants to be hemmed) when she selected me for this award, but i'll take it!
the instructions are as follows:
In order to accept this award, you must perform 4 duties:all right, 7 things . . .
1. Make a post + Link back to the person who awarded you this award.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Award 15 recently discovered great bloggers.
4. Contact these bloggers and tell them they’ve won!
1. i sang in this a capella group in college. my solos included "video killed the radio star", ben folds' "brick", and jamiroquai's "virtual insanity". i sort of wish i could do this again.
2. i was thisclose to going into psychiatry instead of pediatrics!
3. in 2002, i got shingles! it sucked.
4. i know the words to "it's the end of the world as we know it" by heart. oh, and "baby got back." don't ask.
5. i used to be a terrible driver and crashed my (new) car within 2 months of getting it back in 2002, causing $6000 worth of undercarriage damage. (i'm way better now!)
6. i knew josh and i were meant to be very early in our relationship. ♥
7. i'm contemplating a yoga class at noon today. that sounds wrong, and yet so right!
and now for the nominations . . . 15? isn't that a little steep? how about 7 to go along with the whole '7 things' theme? hopefully, that should suffice.
of course, anyone else can feel free to play along!
1.11.11 (that was fun to type)
workout: 55 minute . . . walk. yes, i was going stir-crazy in my apartment all day (we were semi iced in, though it wasn't really that bad). at the end of the day i attempted some yoga, but decided that what i really wanted was to just get outside and move. since i'm rationing my runs, a walk made sense. plus, i think a run through the icy streets might have been dangerous!
[on 1.10 i did a 3 mile treadmill run + full body weights]
quinoa + cod: this was one of those meals that looked appealing when i chose it, but was not what i was in the mood for by the time i was cooking. nevertheless, i was sort of forced to stick with the plan to make this real simple dish, since i had already set the cod out to thaw.
i enjoyed the quinoa and broccoli mix -- the almonds and raisins added nice flavor. however, i was not a fan of the fish, finding it just . . .too boring! i also don't LOVE the frozen fish filets at whole foods but sometimes succumb to them anyway because they are a more economical option.
reading: i've been sticking to my 30 minutes+/day!
- 1.10 --> MEN syndrome
- 1.11 --> pediatric graves' disease