1) Morning routine is slightly tweaked from 2015, but it still makes me so happy. Currently my typical AM sequence is:
- Headspace (I have completed 90 sessions to date and am really happy with this app)
- Planning / Brain dump (set up daily planning age, then spend 15 minutes or so w/ journal - setting intentions, working through challenges, etc)
I definitely take some days off (weekends especially) but overall I find this routine is working really well for me.
2) Stationery favorites, new & old:
- Nuuna notebook!
- Sakura Pigma Micron pens (for Nuuna)
- Staedtler Triplus Fineliners (for Nuuna & sometimes Hobonichi)
- Uniball Jetstreams (for Hobonichi)
- Hobonichi Techo Cousin
- Zebra Mildliners
It's official, I prefer the Staedtler pens to the Stabilo ones. But I still do like both because Stabilo comes in prettier more interesting colors!
3) Getting out of the house w/ the kids // Playdates
Going out or doing something social is always the answer. Staying home sounds nice until the house is a wreck and everyone is going stir-crazy 2 hours in. Outings that have worked well this year:
- Play dates
- Young At Art
- Miami Children's Museum (membership has paid dividends)
scene from recent playdate/brunch
We have also been really into doing Sunday evening playdate/dinners, either with family or friends. I find that these are a great way to cap off a weekend when everyone is out of ideas for 'activities'.
4) Book club. I finally joined one and love it! I've gone to ~4 sessions and have hosted one of them, and I will definitely continue next year. I like having random books assigned to me (probably would never have picked up A Fine Balance or Here I Am on my own) and the evenings are a lot of fun.
5) Date nights & a Date Weekend
Love our Saturday night date nights + we had 2 couples trips this year: a big one for our 10th anniversary, and a ~36 hour stint in Austin TX. I loved having this time with Josh just the two of us.
6) Remaining off of Facebook. I deactivated in February 2016. I do not miss it even a little bit.
7) Garmin 235. I got mine in April and wear it every day. I love it for running and for the text notifications (often prevents me from having to pick up my phone, if a text is something that doesn't need a right-away response).
8) Trunk Club. My last shipment wasn't terribly successful, but my wardrobe is now ~50% trunk club pieces so . . . clearly this has overall been a win.
9) Getting-Things-Done-style organization, including inbox management and a weekly review.
1) No-Drama Discipline. I don't know, I really loved the sound of the ideas in this book. But honestly timeouts (I have actually started calling them "resets" to emphasize that it's not a punishment, just an opportunity to get emotions regulated in one's room) seem to be a necessary thing for Annabel in particular. Hugging her and acknowledging her emotions ("I'm sorry you're frustrated that I said you had to give Cameron's toy back to him . . . ") just doesn't work. I don't know; I don't feel like I have this arena figured out yet and maybe I never will. Just doing the best I can.
2) Running / Fitness. As I've written about recently, I've been really frustrated by slower paces recently. Not sure what my next step will be, because I still yearn for more speed! I do plan to get checked for anemia just to make sure that isn't contributing to my super-high heart rates/inability to sustain faster paces.
3) Family dinners. Yeah, this is a work in progress. I've started eating with the kids more often. Sometimes it goes well. Sometimes . . . not.
4) Being zen on call. Will I ever achieve this state? I don't know. But I really want to handle the stress of call better than I currently do.
5) Remaining off of my phone in general. I am off of FB which helps. But there is still Instagram, email, and feedly to tempt me (top 3 culprits, I guess). I'd rather not take these off my phone (especially Insta, b/c I don't think you can post photos from the computer anyway!). But I need to be better about physically DOCKING the distracting white rectangle so that I am not tempted. I have reinstalled Moment. I want to get back to having nearly screen-free Saturdays and really trying to keep total minutes under 60 per day.
That's it! Aaaaaand . . . . now I will return to nursing myself back to health b/c I seem to have caught something that seems suspiciously like the flu despite getting the vaccine . . . ugh. Our nanny has the kids today and Josh and I had planned for a major catchup on life but I'll just try to be grateful that I have her help while I'm feeling like $(*!@!. And I survived call. Hopefully I'll recover and get to enjoy the rest of the week off w/ the kids!!