The rest of the weekend, however, was great. Josh worked Friday, and I took advantage of the unexpected vacay time to take the kids for new shoes. C has reached a phase where everything that fits is "TOO TIGHT!!" and wants everything to be soft and non-conforming to his body - including shoes. I eventually found him sneakers & gray flannel slip ons (for a wedding) that he tolerated. A went big with super sparkly rainbow and light-up My Little Pony sneakers. I have to say . . . I loved how much she loved them. Our nanny came in Friday afternoon so I did work (yes on my forced "vacation" but seriously I was so stressed about the pile up of things to do I didn't care!), and then we had family (Gparents/Aunt/Cousins) over for pizza.
What a weekend. From a hurricane warning to bright sunshine, I feel like I just got back from a surprise vacation! As I wrote previously, we really got lucky and did not get hit by the storm. My heart goes out to those that are still dealing with water & wind damage farther north.Thursday was spent in the house. It was my least favorite of the 4 days by far! I attempted to make activity cards for Annabel - yeah, that didn't work so well (not sure she's as much of a rule follower as I am, although at 4.5 perhaps those characteristics have yet to crystallize . . .). The kids basically went nuts from being in the house and we ended up watching way more TV than necessary - thankfully we had power the whole time to make it feasible!
The rest of the weekend included:
- AM barre3 workout at home
- Playground trip (South Pointe Park for beachy views & water play)
- Made Superhero Muffins from RFES again (YUM), Annabel sort of helped
- Lunch at Big Pink (also YUM. Of note my current obsession is tahini of all things)
- Reading Here I Am for nearly 2 hours while Cameron napped & A watched a movie
- Date night featuring tacos at Bodega and Girl On the Train (which I found very entertaining despite lukewarm reviews - maybe because I really enjoyed the book)
- Long run (details below)
- Pancakes made by Josh!! (inspired by the pumpkin teff pancakes from RFES)
- Swim class (both kids)
- Playdate @ a friends' house
- Bison burgers (from . . yep you guessed it RFES for dinner)
- The debate (okay that was more of a lowlight than a highlight . . .)
WHEW. Maybe it doesn't look that adventurous, but I feel like we packed so much good stuff into those days! Outdoor time and lots of family plus some fun and relaxation. I have to say that purposeful planning & thinking through how I want to spend the weekend hours tends to pay off in spades for me. I actually feel like I even appreciate it more as it unfolds. There were some stressful moments (I did not communicate well with Josh about something and it led to some frustration during swim class for me) but they were far outweighed by joy. And even the awareness of joy as it was unfolding. I am not saying that the time spent plotting things out with my planner is some sort of happiness-producing magic, but I do think it helps.
swimming on Sunday
Slow relaxed long run
And my HR stayed down!
Weekend - themed journaling
Flower girl prep!
My Little Pony sneaks ❤️
Inspiring Insta from gothamhaus
Pancakes made by Josh!