I identified a few goals for the month of April in this post, and promised I would report back on 4/30. Well, here we are . . . so here you go! There were 6 aims (probably about 4-5 too many, I know):
1. Hydrate better. I think I've done better with this, for the most part meeting the simple goal of drinking a full glass of something every time I eat plus before/after workouts.
2. Snack/eat better. ("less sugar / fewer empty carbohydrates / more fat and protein / more whole unprocessed foods"). As is often the case, I am now realizing that this goal was too nebulous, and therefore I'm not even sure if I've met it or not. Which means: probably not. The only thing that has helped a little bit is writing down what I'm actually eating for the past few days -- this has helped stop me from grazing on things mindlessly, which is easy to do at home.
3. Sleep more. ("I want to aim to be in bed and asleep before 10 every night unless out doing something fun"). Yes, I feel like I've gotten into a good routine here! I probably need to aim for closer to 9:30 once work starts, since I will be up with C's earlier wakeup for the most part and need to make sure I can get in 7+ hours/night. We're starting to have a semblance of an evening routine around here which makes me happy.
4. Exercise in a balanced way. Definitely a resounding yes! I've been doing 3-4 runs/week, usually 3-3.5 miles, and 2-3 other workouts: POP pilates, online barre, or Jillian Michaels. This feels like a great balance to me, and I think maybe I'm getting a little bit stronger. (Maybe.) Next I want to check out the online Barre3 offerings and also try to attend my first live barre class, or work on finding a local yoga studio. Perhaps in May or June . . .
5. Vitamins -- take daily. I was anemic during pregnancy and this was probably in part because I didn't take my prenatals regularly -- I know, horrible, but they just repulsed me for some reason. I am happy to report I've gotten in the habit -- mostly because I take it every time I give C his Synthroid! The strategy of linking the two habits (since I prioritize getting C his medicine and have been 100% so far) really worked for me.
6. Floss. YES! I have been doing this every night and am happy about it. I even got a clean bill of peridontal health at the dentist earlier this month, which was awesome.
Overall, it has been a great month. I feel like I'm getting out of survival mode and starting to just settle into life with 2 children. Next month will be filled with new challenges (the whole back-to-work thing will throw my current routines for a loop, to be sure!) but I'm looking forward to it. I'll post May goals (including some specific ones to address the whole smartphone addiction thing!) tomorrow.
In other news:
Josh and I are seeing Vampire Weekend tonight!! It's so unlike us to have a date night/exciting event on a weeknight but I am ridiculously excited.