i had a really, really, REALLY good weekend.
- really good weather [here, this means sun and 70s-low 80s during the day, and high 60s+ at night]
- a full social calendar. annabel and i basically went from playdate to playdate! nothing fancy -- a lot of sunny playground trips and a [ridiculously fun] sleepover at our house with my friend d. and her 8 year old daughter, who is super sweet and mature and loooooved playing with annabel.
- acceptance of josh's call responsibilities. i didn't see him much, aside from an hour or two on saturday night. he's still at the hospital now. i had one near-sulking incident [because he was going to try to make it for a's swim class, and then couldn't] but a's awesome grandfather stepped in and saved me from having to hold annabel in the pool*.
- a lot of takeout :) this made things easy
- 2.5 hours from our wonderful babysitter on sunday afternoon, during which time i went to get a prenatal massage. ahhhhhhhhhh.
- finally having energy to work out again -- gently. today i took a treadmill walk during a's nap and topped it off with a 20 minute prenatal yoga routine. yesterday i did this 'run'. it was probably half running, half walking, but i still demand a gold star because it was with annabel and the stroller:
. . . and i look like this:
about to be 35 weeks
(actually i honestly don't think this [mirror, iPhone] pic even does the bump justice --
probably because i had trouble turning completely sideways and still angling the phone.)
in person i basically look like i'm due to deliver tomorrow or possibly right now.
some key moments:
taking her doll all around the playground . . .
when i turned around for like 30 seconds and came back into the kitchen to find she had CLIMBED UP INTO HER HIGH CHAIR and -- looking quite pleased with herself -- was trying to buckle it. this nearly sent me into labor.
bits of joy
during my massage**, i started making a little 'bits of joy' list in my head, as described by laura vanderkam in her resolutions post [and i believe in her 168 hours book]. since a lot of my january goals have been about eliminating wasted time and negative energy . . . i feel like i need to find good things to FILL those little [often REALLY little] pockets. after all, breaks are not inherently a bad thing. i just don't want to fill them all up with things that have been making me feel empty.
here are some ideas i came up with . . .
listen to a song
write a quick email to a friend
look at pictures/videos
attempt to meditate [i'm terrible at this, but maybe some day . . .]
plan out an upcoming weekend: make a few playdate inquiries or figure out a local destination to check out
peruse rottentomatoes or another similar website to start a list of 'want to watch' movies
browse the online sale 'racks' at baby gap or mini boden for baby clothes
draft a blog post
take a walk [or a drive] to get some tea [or coffee . . . or a snack. depending on mood!]
find a few recipes to try for the next week and make a shopping list
read: for pleasure, or about an interesting or controversial work-related topic
order a gift [even if it will be a little early] for a friend/relative's upcoming birthday
i need more!! ideas?
* in retrospect it probably would have been doable but in other classes we've gone into water that's too deep for me to stand easily in, and i know i would STRUGGLE in my current state trying to wrangle a. and myself. and feel ridiculous in the process.
** i never zone out during massages -- i'm either going through to-do lists [ugh] or thinking nice happy flowing thoughts, often about the future [better!]