to last night's commenters:
atilla asks: "so how was dinner?"
atilla, i can't tell if you really want to know or if you are making (kind-hearted) fun at my phood-photo-phun. the thing is, i only post dinner if i actually cooked something worthy of posting (i guess the chinese takeout was stretching it, but i thought it looked kind of pretty with my added broccoli). last night, i 'made' some boring salad and a piece of toast with melted cheese on it. this dinner was only made more sad by the fact that i ate it alone -- josh had gotten home later than i did post-call and was passed out cold. it didn't seem photo-worthy, although i guess it might have added to the depressing tone of last night's post.
anonymous* wrote: "Endure and you will soon have the power of reflection to help assuage the pain of this past month in PICU.
In the meantime, I just finished this delightful book about running, I bet would lift your spirits a bit
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
by Haruki Murakami
Hang in there!"
anonymous: thank you for your comment -- it really did make me feel better this (early) AM. i am really looking forward to being able to reflect BACK on this month and figure out what i could do next time to make things better. and as for your book suggestion, it was already at the top of my list of things i want to read next! i loved murakami's norwegian wood and was so excited that he wrote a book dedicated to running. however, i am still trying to get through john irving's a prayer for owen meany. i haven't made much headway this month (DUH), but i will hopefully have a little more time soon.
* usually i attribute 'anonymous' comments to my dad, but i am positive he would never recommend a running-themed book.
- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
good things about today
• i have clinic in the morning so while i have to pre-round, i will NOT be present for AM rounds in the PICU!
• and i like clinic. kids who are not paralyzed on ventilators are my FAVORITE kind.
• my POLAR running toy should arrive today!!
• i have a tasty dinner planned (which involves actual cooking)
• i have a personal training session after work
• despite poor post-run sleep, i don't feel TOO tired this morning
and to counteract the dali which i fear was a little TOO dark 'n' stormy last night:
run: the highlight of my day, although that isn't really saying much. 7.25 mile interval run:
- 2 miles warmup @ 9:13/mi
- 2 x 1200m @ 7:30/mi (5K pace intervals) with 400m recovery in between
- 2 x 800m @ 7:30/mi with 0.15 mi recovery in between
- 2 miles cooldown with 4 x 100m striders